Graffiti 360

In a world controlled by industry and the machine, this blog observes and critiques the world's true graffiti problem, which is advertising and marketing. From time to time, I'll also talk about art and interactive media. Or whatever else I feel like.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Exhibit Experience

I went to the new exhibit in the Museum of Art today. I walked around and experienced the different pieces there. The exhibit was called Video and Photography from the Western Bridge. I walked around the museum, but I really only looked at the two pieces that really caught my eye. Then, I heard something - the sound of a telephone. Then I heard it again, and again. I was drawn to the far side of the museum, where I was led by the increasing sounds down a hallway and into a large room with a movie running. The film was called, "The Telephone." It was a piece about the progression of the use of the telephone in a conversation. That was my take at least. It was really interesting how the artist, Christian Marclay, guided the viewer through the progression with sound. The film started with the dialing of the numbers. A few clips were shown from different 20th century films. Then the film progressed through the process of a phone call using many different clips pieced together and synchronized. One of the best parts was that the music that would play on a individual clips appeared to go along with the piece as a whole. My favorite part was at the end of the film when there were long pauses in the conversations happening in the different clips. The long pauses really drew me into the piece. I liked how I was drawn into the piece by the sounds. I had to walk down the hallway and into the room to experience the piece.

Add to Technorati Favorites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home