Graffiti 360

In a world controlled by industry and the machine, this blog observes and critiques the world's true graffiti problem, which is advertising and marketing. From time to time, I'll also talk about art and interactive media. Or whatever else I feel like.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

LifeSavers Bus Campaign

Alright, I guess I've become a critic of unhealthy foods' advertising. Today, LifeSavers. On my way to work the last couple of weeks, I've seen the metro buses covered in LifeSavers advertising. They have buses completely painted that say, "It's good to be sweet." And, they have billboards on the sides of the buses that say a few things, but the one that catches my eye the most says, "I don't have to drag race other buses to prove my manhood." With the other saying, "I'm everbody's designated driver." I don't have a picture of this one yet, but I'll try to get one and repost this. I think this campaign is only running in Seattle, but it could be in a few other select cities.

So, let the ripping begin. After working on a Coca-Cola campaign that targeted youth 13-21 year olds, I'd like to think I have a pretty good idea about advertising sugar to people who shouldn't be consuming more sugar. "It's good to be sweet" seems like a little way around the subject of unhealthy. Candy sales are slipping because people are watching out for this stuff more. Especially on the West Coast where granola health nuts control the market. So, how do you get a bunch of city dwelling tree huggers to buy candy again? You make sugar a good thing - but you don't use the word sugar, you substitute it with "sweet." It's good to eat sugar is basically what LifeSavers is saying, but when you say "sweet" it just changes it so it sounds like a really good thing. Could it be subliminal advertising? After reading a few other Seattlite blog posts about the buses, it seems people like the campaign. Check it out -
I'll see if I can snag a photo of the side billboards and repost.

I was taking a look at this again and I think Bill cosby's head is on the side panel picture. It's only half his face, but I think it's him.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Add to Technorati Favorites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home