Graffiti 360

In a world controlled by industry and the machine, this blog observes and critiques the world's true graffiti problem, which is advertising and marketing. From time to time, I'll also talk about art and interactive media. Or whatever else I feel like.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Phones and Snail Mail

Does anyone write letters anymore? I do when good ol' mommy reminds me to write thank you letters to my relatives during holidays. But, unless its a cordial thank you, I don't usually send mail. This past spring I was looking for a new job and I had bought a whole bunch of resume paper and envelopes to mail my resume and cover letters out, but all the places I applied just asked for emails with PDFs attached. I'm all about saving trees, so it didn't bother me at all, it's just interesting how the system is changing.

Also changing I think is the way we communicate. At my new job, I get email after email from my boss and other people in the office. I work 50 steps away from my boss and he sends me emails every 10 minutes which have little to no subject. I've become really comfortable using email - too comfortable. I've lost the little phone skills I had. Now, when I HAVE to call someone, I get really nervous and I have to write out a script sometimes. Emails are no problem though. I can write out, erase and review how my words will appear. I wish we used phones more in our new technologically advanced society. I wonder if this reliance on, or rather, this more prolific use of email will change the communication skills of youth?


Labels: , ,

Add to Technorati Favorites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home