Graffiti 360

In a world controlled by industry and the machine, this blog observes and critiques the world's true graffiti problem, which is advertising and marketing. From time to time, I'll also talk about art and interactive media. Or whatever else I feel like.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

"Smell-o-vision" and more

In class we talked about different ways that advertising can be interactive. I started to think about advertising that uses smells. It reminded me of smells used in movie theatres during a movie. I couldn't find very much information on the Web, but I remember hearing that movie theatres back in the 50's (I think), used fans and tubes to release the smell of popcorn and other concession treats in order to drive up sales during movies. The tactic was made illegal because it was so effective at the test market theatres. I heard (and this is probably just a rumor and nothing else) that Subway Sandwiches crack the doors to their stores so the fresh bread smell gets out and tempts passer byers. I know that even when it was -7 degrees outside, the Subway shop in downtown Pullman had its door cracked open. What I'm getting to is a new thing in theatres called "Smell-o-Vision."
"Smell-o-Vision"
USA Today Article
NTT Communications came up with the idea of putting aroma releasing oils under the seats of movie goers so they can experience certain elements of the movie in a different way - by smell! I thought this was cool because most interactive stuff doesn't do with smell, its mostly sight, touch, and noise. So my goal is to find interactive media that deals with taste because I can't think of anything that I've seen that has to do with taste really.

Add to Technorati Favorites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home